What are the Academy of Podcasters Awards?
The Academy of Podcasters Awards are a set of honors awarded every year to the best of the best in podcasting. Through a unique take on the voting process that does not reward popularity as much as it does quality content, we believe this ceremony has already become the most prestigious in the industry.
How are the Awards winners chosen?
Winners of the Awards will be chosen as a part of a unique two step process:
10 Podcasts will be nominated as finalists in every category. Those 10 are selected as follows:
– 5 podcasts will be nominated by a combination of input from the Academy, the board, and from other podcast rating services. This is specifically a part of the process to not leave out “under the radar” or smaller podcasts.
1 winner will be chosen from the 10 finalists, through a multi-judge voting process:
– Each category will be assigned 5 unique judges, who are members of the Academy. These judges will not have any affiliation with the podcasts in their category, nor will they have a podcast of their own in that category. While the voting members of the Academy will be made public, the judges assigned to each category will not be.
– The judges will listen to a sample episode from each of the ten podcasts. The sample episodes will be submitted by the nominated show themselves, or chosen at random if they choose not to submit a specific episode.
– The judges will then score each podcast from 1-10 in each of a number of different criteria categories (see eligibility & criteria), and determine their total score for each podcast. All five judges’ scores are tallied for all ten podcasts, and the top scoring podcast will be declared the winner. The Board will be the only ones who know the winners until they are announced.
– The winners will be announced at the Awards Show.
- Qualified shows released: April 1, 2015 through March 31, 2016
- Nominations period: April 1, 2016 – April 30, 2016
- Final 10 in each category announced: May 23, 2016
- Sample submission period from finalists: May 23, 2016 – June 3, 2016
- Judges evaluate finalists and submit their scores: June 3, 2016 – June 17, 2016
- Winners announced: July 6, 2016 in Chicago, IL the night prior to Podcast Movement.